Take Action for the Two Wolf Pups, and for All Wolves!
August 27, 2011
Let MT FWP Know that We do not Agree with the Fate of Wolf Pups shot and Killed in Hamilton, MT
In a span of five weeks, Bitterroot rancher Dave Schram (Hamilton) killed three wolves because he thought they were a threat to his livestock. The latter two wolves were four-month old pups.
It is widely accepted science that at four months old, wolf pups rely on their mother and other pack members for all nourishment; biologists believe at this young age these wolf pups could not take down prey on their own; evidence of that fact was the emaciated condition of the pups when they were found. Thus, we assert that the Hamilton pups were in no way a threat to Mr. Schram and/or his livestock and property.
Montana Fish, Wildlife and Parks investigated this incident and it appears the agency believes this was a “legitimate shooting”. In an attempt to advocate on behalf of the Hamilton pups, we reached out to MtFWP.
In our communication with them, not only did we request that Montana FWP further investigate the unfortunate circumstances that led to the untimely death of these wolf pups, but we also made a plea to this agency to promote programs such as those afforded by Defenders of Wildlife’s “Wolf Coexistence Partnership” which works directly with landowners to find innovative and economical solutions that protect livestock and ensure wolf conservation in the region – all free of charge to the taxpayer.
Unfortunately, we are not satisfied with the responses received. Thus, we are reaching out to our supporters to join our voice in seeking justice of those Hamilton pups – true ambassadors for their wild brethren. Please use the contact information below:
- Director of MtFWP Joe Maurier at jmaurier@MT.gov or 406 444 3186
- Bureau Chief Ken McDonald at kmcdonald@MT.gov or 406 444 5645
- Chief Legal Counsel Bob Lane at blane@MT.gov or 406 444 4045
- Chief of Law Enforcement James Kropp at jkropp@MT.gov or 406 444 5657
- Sen. Jon Tester’s staff at Tracy_Stone-Manning@tester.senate.gov
- Governor Brian Schweitzer at http://governor.mt.gov/contact/commentsform.asp or Governor@MT.Gov or (406) 444-3111
- I believe the Hamilton wolf pups killed by Mr. Schram were no threat him and/or his livestock and property. I want Montana FWP to further investigate the circumstances that led to the wrongful death of these wolf pups and hold Mr. Schram accountable for his poor judgment.
- I want Montana FWP to promote programs such as those afforded by Defenders of Wildlife’s “Wolf Coexistence Partnership” which works directly with ranchers to successfully find and use innovative and economical solutions which protect livestock and ensure wolf conservation in the region.
Thank you for being the voice for wolves once again!
National Wolfwatcher Coalition
Understand, Love, Protect
Rancher shoots two wolves in Hamilton
MT FWP says shooting justifed, Marc Cooke of NWC responds: